Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A once great company that is now a shark tank

Former Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Top benefits, strong pay, smart co-workers, opportunity to move around and have a career. Flexible work environment (as long as you discount the lack-life balance)

Cons

The company's review system pits employees against each other - there is very little team work, a ton of politics to negotiate, and regardless of doing a good job you can be killed in a review based on forced stacked ranking. The worst of it is that the pretend that it is all fair. Admit to having the work environment be a reality survivor show with people's careers and I'd at least respect the workplace there. Finally, they preach work-life balance while making that impossible

Get rid of the antiquated G.E. inspired review system and stop pitting employees against each other, or stop complaining about the lack of trust your workforce has. Get prepared for mass exodus once the economy changes... your employees will remember being treated like a number and the dog-fight atmosphere.

8992 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Senior Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if every thing well around you , you will get a good bonus and salary

Cons

you don't learn or do too much as you are very busy on daily competition. The competition is not on innovation and deeper analysis. Employees are scared of trying new things as at the end what matters is not to have a failed project .

I think the company is focused on the employee review rather than focusing on how to bit Google and how to best use employees with what ever they can contribute. All the time employees are just thinking about how to make sure that they don't lose the bonus and preparing an exist strategy as the pressure is too much to stay.

I believe no can innovate while he or she is in pressure. Just let the 70 percent of the employees have free time to think and give you their share of the best of next generation. Instead of trying to deliver the best product to the whole world with mind set of 20% employee it is better to try to deliver the best to the whole world with the mind set of 70%. So don't undermine the 70%.If the majority is happy the company goes up if the majority goes down the company goes down!!!!

great place to build software

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great perks, great salary. coffee is free and great. great offices, great coworkers

Cons

sometimes feels too big. getting good hardware is possible, but tricky.

we need to improve our IC career path. we need to make sure the necessary tools and hardware can be purchased, being frugal is great, but penny wise and pound poor is wasteful as well

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft