There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

See Most Recent

Top shelf

  • Work/Life Balance
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Recommends
Positive Outlook
Disapproves of CEO
Recommends
Positive Outlook
Disapproves of CEO

Pros

No limits on how far you can grow.
Great opportunity to move from one role to other roles.
Stable, meaningful work.
You can change the world from here.

Cons

Performance review system encourages bad behavior and wastes time.
A lot of focus on simplifying for management, not much tolerance for subtle nuances.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the performance stack rank system. Don't fire long term veteran good performers because of where they fall in the stack ranks.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Location
  • Any Job Title
  • Any Status
  1. Helpful (3)

    Politics are insane

    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

    I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO

    Pros

    The biggest pro of the place is the stability. Microsoft is not likely to run out of cash any time soon. Resources are usually not an issue either, though they are not well managed.

    Cons

    Review system is insanely difficult to navigate, and is based more on politics than actual performance
    Work / Life balance is non-existent, even though they claim it is there. Typical to work 60 - 80 hour weeks.
    Management claims that it's possible to have long career as just Individual Contributor, but it varies between groups

    Advice to Management

    Stop pissing good people off by having a better review system, and placing less emphasis on politics. Which I know is not likely to happen...


  2. Helpful (2)

    Disastrous

    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

    I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO
    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    Disapproves of CEO

    Pros

    Microsoft takes good care of its employees in terms of health insurance and 401K.

    Cons

    Extremely political environment. You can rise only if you suck up to the ones above. A Microsoft employee pends 80% of your time playing games. The mornings are spent doing rounds of offices, saying hellos and whining and complaining. The rest of the 20% goes in figuring out who is doing what behind your back. No wonder their products fail. They are behind any other company. MSN particularly is a joke. Most of the managers i met had very little job skills, it is mostly a well known fact, especially amongst agencies, that a manager from MS would most likely be not qualified to do his job right. It shows in the work that is produced and the worst company culture that exists

    Advice to Management

    Really? I would have to give advice to sack Balmer because that is where the politics starts and ends at the bottom.


There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

See Most Recent

Work at Microsoft? Share Your Experiences

Microsoft

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.