many reorgs - learned alot

Current Employee - Business Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Business Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great experience
my teams were great to work with

Cons

constant reorgs
lots of politics in pa=lay

Advice to Management

more communication

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not the place to be if you're seeking to do great things.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Microsoft is a large organization with significant resources. This affords opportunities to try new things although at times wasteful or to excess.

Cons

There are a lot of smart people with good ideas, however those ideas die due to internal politics. As executives work to build kingdoms and amass influence and power, you find that teams work against one another. This internal competition does not benefit the greater good and rather ends with mediocres results.

Advice to Management

Rather than building personal kingdoms, focus on building great products..

Every group at this company is different

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to move around and switch roles if you find yourself stuck or don't like what you're working on. Every team has a different culture and different way of doing things. There is no one "Microsoft" way of doing things.

Cons

The benefits package has changed and the healthcare benefit is a pain now. Now we have to deal with co-pays and lots of confusing bills and paperwork at the doctors office. With the old plan, you just walked in, gave them your card and you were done. Now it's just a pain to deal with plus a lot of out of pocket money if you need surgery or anything expensive.

The whole rating system of forcing 7% of the employees to get the lowest score is ridiculous. If they tried to force kids in public schools to adhere to this where 7% of them would always be failing just because their peers were doing better, this would be unacceptable. The system feels forced and not truly based on performance. Trying to fit to the perfect curve means a lot of people get scores they don't deserve. (On both ends I might add.)

The other thing that bothers me greatly about Microsoft is the low number of female engineers and a very low number of females in leadership positions. It's still very much a "boys club" here.

Advice to Management

We really need to get our old health plan back, and competitive wages. Everyone has the opinion that going elsewhere means more money. I'd also like to see more female Engineers.