Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of resources (people, supplies, opportunities). Managers have in their commitments to support employee career development, they take it seriously. (Not all managers are good people managers, but at least it's in their commitments and is sanctioned from high.) Fist pounding on a table is taken as a sign of passion, but it has to be in the spirit of moving teams forward and in the interests of the company. (It's not for the sake of power plays or belittling.)

Cons

You have to move up in your career, or move out. Lateral moves within a certain time period of any promotions are fine, but past that you have to continue up the ladder, even if really you just want to try different things. Although a big company, moving around from place to place is very difficult without sponsorship.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current performance system. It doesn't work. Comparing me to my peers, when I don't even know who I'm being compared against, is working toward the wrong target. Help me achieve my goals---quit comparing me to others who are NOT doing like work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Finance and Operations

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good recruiting team to get you into the door.

Cons

Terrible on boarding process for new hires.
    If you have a lousy bosses will put you at a huge disadvantage when it comes to calibration and forced ranking for year end reviews.
    If you are in finance best to avoid. Skills and experience none transferable.
    Calibration process had finance being ranked against levels in sales, development and IT. That is a situation that a finance person will lose.
    Most toe company line so do not be a disruptor or bring in new ideas from the outside that might hurt the Redmond bubble.
    Need to be good at politics.

Advice to Management

Need to get remove most of management. Slow and stale.

Good company but past its prime

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent corporate governance, decentralized decision making, cutting edge practices in many areas, good benefits. Worldwide brand name recognition. Still carries prestige value in most countries. In early years, till year 2002 or so, only hired the best and the brightest.

Cons

Too big now, slow growth, so getting too political with turf battles. Too many people with too many years of experience so top heavy, and that adds to political/ turf battles. Does not seem to reward innovative ideas that much. No good system in place for encouraging innovation. So people with good ideas and ambition either do not join now or leave quickly. Sometime around 2002, hiring standards were lowered, and in my opinion, that affected the culture and quality irreversibly. Working along side only the best was a big draw and inspiration for many of us up until then. Big lesson for every corporate.

Advice to Management

Break up the company into 6-7 smaller companies and bring in start up culture. get rid of dead wood. fix HR and ratings which is killing team work. find out why silicon valley people do not want to join Microsoft, fix that on priority.