There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of resources (people, supplies, opportunities). Managers have in their commitments to support employee career development, they take it seriously. (Not all managers are good people managers, but at least it's in their commitments and is sanctioned from high.) Fist pounding on a table is taken as a sign of passion, but it has to be in the spirit of moving teams forward and in the interests of the company. (It's not for the sake of power plays or belittling.)

Cons

You have to move up in your career, or move out. Lateral moves within a certain time period of any promotions are fine, but past that you have to continue up the ladder, even if really you just want to try different things. Although a big company, moving around from place to place is very difficult without sponsorship.

Get rid of the current performance system. It doesn't work. Comparing me to my peers, when I don't even know who I'm being compared against, is working toward the wrong target. Help me achieve my goals---quit comparing me to others who are NOT doing like work.

8385 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Vendor analyst in security

Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Redmond campus is a great environment to work in. Microsoft provides many amenities that go far toward making the work place both comfortable and productive.

Cons

Work experience varies greatly across workgroups, and can be miserable if you land in one of several overworked groups. Treatment of vendors varies greatly as well. If at all possible, find people working within the group you are interested in to talk to about their experience.

Bridge gaps between existing systems, projects, and data, with unidentified internal customers. Better documentation and communication could improve lateral leverage of many existing assets.

Great first job in the industry.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High likelihood of working with talented technical leaders. Great networking opportunity. Easy to change jobs (and even disciplines) if appropriate. Relatively low pressure given size and stability of the company.

Cons

Yearly evaluations stack rank you against your immediate peers, which creates an environment of internal competition (distracting from the actual competition). Truly horrible middle-managers. Lots of dead weight, and lots of very senior disengaged people who are only coasting.

Invest in your managers -- they can make or break careers, and demoralize employees very easily. It's a fair assumption none of them has been groomed to manage people.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft