There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Overall great experience and learned a ton

Former Employee - Director  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of high quality highly talented people at the company. Being surrounded by a lot of high achievers is inspiring and can bring out your best performance. I made many great friends there that I respect deeply and miss working with.

You also get to work on huge, epic projects that very few companies in the world can do. It's fun to be a part of that even if it does make you feel like a small cog in a big machine.

The senior executives are extremely impressive for the most part. Smart, hard working and hold themselves accountable. Yes you can get a bit of ego along with that but I doubt it's any more so than other companies.

Cons

As others have written, it can get easy to get lost in such a big company. You really need to take charge of your career path, network and manage upwards. If you do so successfully you can have a nice career trajectory.

Also, in my opinion, the company is not moving agilely enough to keep up with the pace of changes in the marketplace.

Try to move faster and please help the company work together more effectively than get in each others' way.

8069 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Good Company to get your career started

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Good opportunities to work on a lot of interesting projects.

Cons

Politics can be heavy. Don't look outside at available resources, focus on recruiting other companies top talent.

Don't miss experienced resources who have a track record of working at start ups.

Rewarding, challenging and for your career you get out what you put in.

Current Employee - Service Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to technology at scales and budgets that are really big. Flexibility and freedom to manage your own work. You can have impact and build great things that impact people's lives. Compensation is fairly good, but you won't be driving the Ferrari unless you are highly compensated partner level VP (I.e. not an average engineer that actually writes code and develops software). Benefits are pretty good, but if you are younger and no family you don't really exercise them and option for higher comp would be appreciated instead. The technology and engineering discipline are fun and challenging and there are many great minds to learn from.

Cons

Once you are inside the ms bubble, you have 3 numbers: employee ID, stock level and review score. The rest of your life is tied to these arbitrary numbers. It is in your best interest to get hired in at highest stock level possible. In practice, stock level will dictate your base salary and stock awards while review score (1 thru 5 with 1 the highest) dictates bonus and usually promo. The review system of "stack rank" promotes disunity, dysfunction and discord. It is a cancer. Think hunger games. By the way I get 1's consistently and I still feel awful for the others that worked harder (but not smarter) than me. Your direct "lead" is useless, with no management training or accountability your lead feels lie a peer instead of a mentor. You must actively seek out mentors on your own. Career advancement is slow and not always in your control. You could have a great year and get a 1 but be told that you haven't been in your current level long enough. So, go kick butt for another year and hope for Pomo next time. 2 years in your level is considered pretty good. Again, make sure you start as high as possible, it takes a while to climb that ladder!

Get a clear concise message for the strategy of the company to rally the troops and engage the customer. Stop chasing rivals and understand the answer to this question: what is microsoft's core competency?

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!