There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Good Company to get your career started

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Good opportunities to work on a lot of interesting projects.

Cons

Politics can be heavy. Don't look outside at available resources, focus on recruiting other companies top talent.

Advice to Management

Don't miss experienced resources who have a track record of working at start ups.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Rewarding, challenging and for your career you get out what you put in.

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to technology at scales and budgets that are really big. Flexibility and freedom to manage your own work. You can have impact and build great things that impact people's lives. Compensation is fairly good, but you won't be driving the Ferrari unless you are highly compensated partner level VP (I.e. not an average engineer that actually writes code and develops software). Benefits are pretty good, but if you are younger and no family you don't really exercise them and option for higher comp would be appreciated instead. The technology and engineering discipline are fun and challenging and there are many great minds to learn from.

Cons

Once you are inside the ms bubble, you have 3 numbers: employee ID, stock level and review score. The rest of your life is tied to these arbitrary numbers. It is in your best interest to get hired in at highest stock level possible. In practice, stock level will dictate your base salary and stock awards while review score (1 thru 5 with 1 the highest) dictates bonus and usually promo. The review system of "stack rank" promotes disunity, dysfunction and discord. It is a cancer. Think hunger games. By the way I get 1's consistently and I still feel awful for the others that worked harder (but not smarter) than me. Your direct "lead" is useless, with no management training or accountability your lead feels lie a peer instead of a mentor. You must actively seek out mentors on your own. Career advancement is slow and not always in your control. You could have a great year and get a 1 but be told that you haven't been in your current level long enough. So, go kick butt for another year and hope for Pomo next time. 2 years in your level is considered pretty good. Again, make sure you start as high as possible, it takes a while to climb that ladder!

Advice to Management

Get a clear concise message for the strategy of the company to rally the troops and engage the customer. Stop chasing rivals and understand the answer to this question: what is microsoft's core competency?

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of resources (people, supplies, opportunities). Managers have in their commitments to support employee career development, they take it seriously. (Not all managers are good people managers, but at least it's in their commitments and is sanctioned from high.) Fist pounding on a table is taken as a sign of passion, but it has to be in the spirit of moving teams forward and in the interests of the company. (It's not for the sake of power plays or belittling.)

Cons

You have to move up in your career, or move out. Lateral moves within a certain time period of any promotions are fine, but past that you have to continue up the ladder, even if really you just want to try different things. Although a big company, moving around from place to place is very difficult without sponsorship.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current performance system. It doesn't work. Comparing me to my peers, when I don't even know who I'm being compared against, is working toward the wrong target. Help me achieve my goals---quit comparing me to others who are NOT doing like work.