Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A nice company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is not bad (but depends on group)
have your own office

Cons

Too many levels of management

9020 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

The glory days are long over

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Decent healthcare benefits that are free (for now). Even these have deteriorated in the last few years and the slide will continue
    - Really smart people at least in individual contributor role
    - Free soda (if you are into that)

Cons

- Terrible review system based on rank and yank. Kills morale completely and leaves no incentive to work as a team. In fact we spend better parts of the year trying to sabotage and upstage other team members.

- incompetent management. In the decade I have been here the ranks of group managers, directors and senior directors have grown exponentially slowing any project to a crawl. These "senior leaders" are so clueless that you wonder how they even got into this role.

- Non-existent work life balance. There is crushing and unrealistic pressure to deliver from upper management which itself appears immune to any accountability. 60-70 hour weeks are a given...and that's just to stay afloat.

- Redmond centric culture. There are almost zero opportunities for people outside of Redmond and if you are in the field and reporting to a manager in Redmond...start counting your days before you are ranked and yanked.

- Too much focus on PowerPoints, excel spreadsheets and meeting numbers. Cost cutting is an epidemic...if you are Level 63 or above...you are at risk. The goal set by KT is to eliminate these "higher paying" positions and backfill with fresh, college hires which are cheaper.

There's nothing management can do here....it's a culture thing and unless Microsoft is completely gutted of the Accenture, IBM and Walmart types...it's just a slow descent into irrelevancy.

Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of resources (people, supplies, opportunities). Managers have in their commitments to support employee career development, they take it seriously. (Not all managers are good people managers, but at least it's in their commitments and is sanctioned from high.) Fist pounding on a table is taken as a sign of passion, but it has to be in the spirit of moving teams forward and in the interests of the company. (It's not for the sake of power plays or belittling.)

Cons

You have to move up in your career, or move out. Lateral moves within a certain time period of any promotions are fine, but past that you have to continue up the ladder, even if really you just want to try different things. Although a big company, moving around from place to place is very difficult without sponsorship.

Get rid of the current performance system. It doesn't work. Comparing me to my peers, when I don't even know who I'm being compared against, is working toward the wrong target. Help me achieve my goals---quit comparing me to others who are NOT doing like work.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft