Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Great place to get solid software development experience.

Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsOpportunity to work and brainstorm with very talented peers. Plentiful resources available. Challenging problems to solve. Develop software that will be used around the world. Influence design/functionality of products. Experience and learn state-of-the-art full development lifecycle: design, schedule, estimate, code, test, prioritize, debug, document, support, sustain, revise.

ConsRigid organizational structure limits opportunities to work on additional areas of interest. Conflicting priorities can result in products with high bug debts. Use of prevalent Microsoft-centric technology can lead to reduced future marketability of your skillset.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of great but unrecognized talent within Microsoft. The company needs to recognize and appreciate this talent and work on rewarding it and finding better fits when appropriate. Focus on how our software makes a difference and why it's developed in the first place.

Free-for-all politics, not company goals make you successful

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: There are some smart people. You can find teams to… Cons: Product/company success is secondary. Everyone ambitious is out for themselves. Since review is curved, you need to come… Advice to Senior Management: Make teams work towards a common goal and throw out… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Principal SDE

Principal Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - Large pool of technical resources to learn and consult - Decent compensation - especially after… Cons: - Performance review and calibration model caused a side effect of 'promoting' working silo and against each others since someone in an org must be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!