Explorer Intern Review

Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an explorer intern I got to experience the three disciplines: dev, test, and pm. I got to interview at the end of my internship for an internship next summer. If you stay on the same team, it is very easy to get offered back a full time offer. There are tons of intern events within the department that I worked and with the interns as a whole. The work environment was great and everyone was very eager to help me. I loved the project that I worked on during the summer.

Cons

I am not a hug fan of the Seattle area. Redmond was very boring to me. I also did not have a car so I really couldn't get around much.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company and work environment, could be better managed

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to experts on Microsoft technologies, great pay and benefits, interesting work, immediate customer respect based on company affiliation (in most cases)

Cons

Microsoft Consulting Services has minimal focus on employee career growth despite continuous claims of being people-focused. Constant manager turnover and too many employees per direct-line supervisor contribute to these issues.

Advice to Management

Adapt MCS to align more closely with the July 2013 business group realignment. Do a better job of selling devices.

2. Working at Microsoft

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer || in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer || in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very talented set of people. There are a lot of teams and lot of technologies. So after working for a while in one team you can always go and interview with other team to work there if you like the other project. And yes, you read it right. If you want to change your team you need to interview with the other team.

Cons

The stack rank system during review. A whole year's worth of work can go to waste if the folks in your team are ranked higher in the stack ranking system in a closed room with your manager, manager's manager etc. You won't be there in that room. And you get to know why you got a low rating only after you get it. Just because you did the work doesn't mean much. You have to do more work than the other peers in the same level. If your peers are in the office 24 hours a day delivering more stuff you got no choice. The whole thing about work-life balance is hogwash.

Advice to Management

Think about getting rid of stack rank.