Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

It's been an amazing ride. So many opportunities to make massive impact on the world of computing.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

So many different products to choose from equals tons of opportunity to grow your career all within the safety of a single massive company. Great benefits especially for families or folks planning to have kids. Largely up to you to decide what to work on and when to work on it. AMAZING people to work with and learn form.

Cons

Design is largely driven by PM, so if you're not a PM this can be frustrating (this varies greatly depending on team and individuals though, some are wonderful). Depending on team dynamics the review process can be based heavily on politics and popularity rather than quality of work or business impact. Extremely difficult to get high quality designs pushed through into shipping code due to unusually constrained resources for such a RICH company.

Spend more money on your people! You make BILLIONS... give leads more budget to take their people out for drinks and to kick back. They deserve it. Throw away the forced curve review and actually trust leads to evaluate their people freely, ya know, since they're the ones that actually know them personally. Hire more developers so we can ship products faster and at a higher quality bar.

8654 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Over nearly forty years, the company is making tons of profit and still forging ahead in many different businesses in spite of tough competition.

Cons

May appear slow paced given the 100K plus employee size.

Love the company. Huge opportunity and flexibility provided

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft has given me the ability to move throughout the company as I see fit. I am rewarded well when I do well and not when I don't. All I can ask for frankly.

Cons

Stack ranking system is tough on some folks. If you aren't interested in build teams and competing in the market place, then this isn't for you.

Build more team rewards in the rewards process. Teamwork happens because we have great people, but it is not promoted in our goals or rewards process.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft