There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is a pretty pleasant place for work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good balance between work and life, and have flexible work time. In general, it is not busy and good for people who want to work in IT but not keep highly busy.

Cons

Too many meetings that do not make much sense. The performance reviewing system is disgusting. There is too much politics in teams.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Great contract experience as "A—"

Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The team was excellent to work with everyone was on the same page and focused on end results. There were numerous product launches and worldwide events that I got to manage and they even sent me to the events so it was a good role for a contract job. I was given a lot of independence and was not micromanaged, however I hear that is not the norm.

Cons

Separation of Sales and Business Group (BG) made marketing efforts challenging at times. the 100 days off was very difficult (specific to Microsoft in Washington State thus the "A—"). Would prefer a "V—" next round. Often FTEs were dismissive of contractors. The reviews that talk about the back biting are spot on in a few cases but fortunately were not true for me!

Advice to Management

Contractors are not advanced per se.

2. Great benefits, work on world class software.

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Excellent compensation 2) Very interesting projects to work on that reach many customers around the world

Cons

1) Political -- getting things done can involve getting buy in from many stakeholders 2) Shipping excellent software is valued in words, but not in actions. Deadlines are set before designs are finalized and costing is in, causing non-critical work to be regularly cut.