Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

There is life beyond politics

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to explore within the same company; each group works like a separate company, which is good if you want to experiment with different technologies.

Cons

There are lots of politics. You will need to learn to navigate through it, or to find a way to avoid it altogether. People that get review are not only the brightest, but also the ones that can best communicate their talent/success.

8768 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Manager Owns Your Career

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft has Great Pay and Health Benefits. You get to work with technical smart people and get to work with the latest Microsoft software and technologies.

Cons

Horrible review system. Demoralizing to the workforce. Compete and backstab your own coworkers. Everything is great until you get a manager who you are not buddies with.

Get rid of stack ranking and meeting the curve. Stop cutting great benefits and getting rid of older employees with years of experience.

When I joined MSFT I received this advice: Here is a rope. You can either run with it or hang yourself.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When in sales or business development it is great to work for a recognized brand. I have never had problems getting meetings with potential customers and partners. Stability. Reasonable pay. Good stock award plan. Good benefits. Lots of career potential.

Cons

Highly political and lots of people spending most of their time looking good instead of actually getting work done. The infamous rating system really drives the wrong behaviour. Innovation is very slow, which too often puts us on the back foot when trying to compete. Realistic, pragmatic and constructive criticism of our company is not appreciated. We are all just supposed to be positive about everything all the time and not raise any suggestions for improvement. Hard to change processes even if it makes infinite sense.

1) Simplify the rating system to three ratings. We all know who the 1s are and we typically also know who the 5s are. Consolidate the 2, 3 and 4 ratings. The actual performance difference between a 2 and a 4 is tiny, but the impact from a compensation and future job potential perspective is huge. The rating system should also take "team work" into account.
    2) Institute a culture where "constructive challengers" are rewarded. Today it is much easier to advance by being a "yes-man" than to constructively challenge the status quo.
    3) Be more customer/partner centric... that is an obvious one.
    4) Stop believing our own BS. A good example is Surface. Nice product, not great product. We price it similarly to iPad and only make it available in our own stores. 8 months later we take a $900M charge. Imagine if the Windows BG had listened to some of the field feedback and priced the Surface aggressively (lets say a $900M investment) and made it broadly available. We would have been in a much stronger market position today, but our LT decided to protect our old cash-cow (Windows) instead of going for market share (future).

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft