There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

It's always who you know

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very talented employees, employees really care about their peers, employees cares about customers, compensation very good

Cons

The way we manage our employees are counter to the behavior we expects of them. Our Executives implements a culture of continuously weeding out 5% of our resources every year even though they are the best in class and we are unable to hire engineers of the same quality. As a senior manager in the company unfortunately you do not get promoted based on your results, its about the politics you play.

Change your review process to retain your great employees, hold executives as accountable as you do your staff.

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Don't step a nanometer out of your job scope

Current Employee - Operations Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've had some great experiences at Microsoft and have worked with almost every team or discipline. I've had the unique opportunity of getting mentoring from some of our (useful) C-level leadership.
    I've worked with some of the smartest people I've ever met and have seen history made.

Cons

Two words: Stack ranking.

I've watched people who were staggeringly good at some roles and/or technologies demonstrate it.

Too bad for them that, while in the COMPANY'S best interests, it wasn't in their job description. This issue also sets people up to fail if you're dependent on another team or person to get your deliverables done.
    They don't meet their commitments or deadlines... you don't meet yours.

Guess who gets penalized?

You CAN do their job to get yourself unblocked but that's strongly discouraged.

A meeting to talk about having a meeting to get unblocked *IS* strongly encouraged.

Think before you act.

Make sure you have the right people in the room when decisions are being made.

Far too often are multi-million dollar mistakes made, when having just a single operations person in the room would tell them it's a huge mistake and that they shouldn't do it.

SteveB has decided to move on and the Company Meeting will likely have at least a half hour tribute to the man. That half hour would be better served reassuring employees that whoever is next in line won't make the same mistakes.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee benefits and job security

Cons

Stifled innovation and slow growth

Take more risks and break the mould!

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!