There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Fantastic research-driven workplace where you will be surrounded by smart, friendly coworkers

Former Employee - Doctoral Intern
Former Employee - Doctoral Intern

I worked at Microsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Researchers here work much like they would in academia on self-directed projects. Colleagues are smart and able to offer insightful feedback. The facilities are lovely and well-appointed. Pay is generous; vacation time and benefits are more than adequate.

Cons

There are very few cons to working at MSR. I worked as a doctoral intern and I was disappointed that there were not more opportunities to be hired full-time upon finishing my degree.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Incredibly intense, definitely worth it

Pros

Brilliant geeks who are fun to be around. The culture is quite laid back and one of the least "ole boys club" environments I have worked in.

Cons

The stack ranking system sucks. It incentivizes you to work under managers who manage bad employees so that you look good.

2. Unlimited opportunity

Pros

Based on my experience, this company provides the opportunity for growth to the right candidates.

Cons

As with large corporations, you will have to learn to get past bureaucratics to grow. that helps you learn and grow