Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

If you are great at sucking up and don't care about results, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Redmond, WV
Current Employee - Marketing Director in Redmond, WV

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation (although not worth the pain), medical coverage is good (although VERY high deductible / out of pocket max), gym membership, facilities.

Cons

The culture is the pits! While I get good review scores the stack rankings make little sense. High performing work horses are "rewarded" with more work, while lack luster performers who suck up to management can get the same review scores and compensations and deliver nothing. The rating system is entirely driven by the buddy system, with no regard to merit, results, or how a person interacts with peers or customers.

They a a handful of great executives like the former CMO, but even he was bumped from the CMO position by the former Windows Marketing & Finance VP (now CMO) in the July 2013 re-org. The former CMO had a large part of his group taken away. With the hideous Windows 8 marketing, and disastrous sales even with an enormous marketing budget, this is an excellent example of results not being a factor in who gets ahead.

Microsoft is also very afraid of any employee discrimination litigation. There are several non-performing employees that have been around for years because Microsoft is afraid of a lawsuit if they are let go. If you threaten a lawsuit and get a lawyer involved you can hang around collecting a paycheck for years without doing anything.

9044 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Time to change the review system

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good career opportunities to move within MSFT

Cons

Bad review system causes good employees to leave.

Inconsistent leadership standards = consistent frustration.

Former Employee - Technical/Service Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Technical/Service Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young team with a lot of energy and benefits even at part-time employment status.

You get to play Xbox on the sales floor at times.

Stores opening rapidly so theres lots of opportunity to grow and move around.

Cons

Leadership team requests that staff acts like nothings wrong when corporate reps come in for store visits.

Lots of favoritism.

High turnover.

Having a consistent message from the Store Manger down to the part-time employees. Less micromanaging.

I was with the company for just under 2 years and it was amazing to see the company flourish and come into it's own. Stores were opening left and right so there's lots of opportunity. When employees ask to be trained or want to learn other aspects of the business, they should be given those opportunities. I would ask to learn the second part to my role as a Technical Advisor but would never get the opportunity to do so. So when it came time to want to move to another store or get promoted. The feedback I would get would be "needs to spend more time in his current role." I got another job opportunity with a more set schedule and would push me and teach me new skills. I felt as if I hit the glass ceiling in my role at that store.

I would advise that leadership should actually develop action plans for your employees to grow and get to the role or place they want to be and stick to it. Check in with them at 2 weeks, a month and so on.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft