There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent intern compensation package...quirky company culture

Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft takes good care of its interns. Competitive compensation, including relocation, help with rent during your internship, a variety of intern-only field trips, and your choice of commuting benefits: car rental, bike plan (MS pays most of the $$ for a new bike), public bus pass, and wi-fi enables Microsoft commuter buses.

Job satisfaction will depend on which team you are embedded with.

Cons

On some teams, the expectation is that interns won't make a real contribution; and that your internship is just a public relations sales pitch to potential future employees.

The company culture is quite quirky; it seems that many employees aren't genuinely or wholeheartedly invested in Microsoft or the project their working on....evangelize Windows Mobile to your co-workers during the day, and play on the iPhone after work. Perhaps it's just about a nice paycheck and excellent benefits package.

I found the mid-level managers to be quite competent; though sometimes there is a good-ol'-boy mentality to reward those who've been at Microsoft for awhile (rather than reward competence). Steve Ballmer can be embarrassing.

8371 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

PM Intern

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Compensation is great
    Health benefits are good
    Work can be interesting
    Microsoft prime cards gave amazing discounts on variety of restaurants

Cons

Leads are often too busy to meet with you
    Can be difficult to find the support needed to do a good job

Great place to work unless you have a bad manager

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Super medical benefits
    Chance to move to different group after a couple of years. If you work in Redmond this benefit is very very attractive.
    Lot of smart people
    You will get your own private office room (you need to wait 1-3 years sometimes). I was lucky to my own office after 6 months and having that privacy was great for focus.

Cons

Bad manager can ruin you. In my case, my manager in the second group was over-demanding and it made life difficult.
    Bureaucracy can be a damper, depending on your group.

Move fast and be bold like Google. Come up with inspired products like Apple.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft