Fun experience

Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Intern - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Microsoft - at least in the Office division - is pretty friendly. It's possible to work harder and get noticed. It's not very stressful. As an intern, Microsoft throws a lot of money at you. Our Intern Signature Event was a trip to Boeing where they got us Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Deadmau5, and Surface Pro's. There were plenty of intern events, and with the intern mailing list, interns could arrange their own events based on specific interests (e.g. showing & discussion of UX lectures). And I got plenty of opportunities to talk to slightly higher-up FTEs. Microsoft is full of very smart people. By talking to random people at events or on my team, I could have easily insightful discussions (on non-work-related topics).

Cons

The goals of Microsoft don't match the causes that I think are important. We support people volunteering ("day of caring"), but our products don't really aim to improve the world.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Big ship making a big sweeping turn.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teams are great, strong personalities, and great to work with. Working across groups is difficult as commitments do not align and everyone is focused on their own delivery.

Cons

Bureaucracy and calcified culture. Hot teams are HOT, not teams are not. Rock stars get the spotlight, but the person that delivers every day, the person that executes without self-promotion is no valued.

Advice to Management

What does Microsoft aspire to be? Are you hiring, nurturing and retaining talent to get you to that goal? Or, are you filling your team with like-minded resources creating an echo chamber of self-approval?

A great company that has lost their way

Former Employee - Senior Director Sales in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Director Sales in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot's of different businesses in one company to get involved with Relatively easy to move around to new businesses, gain experience in new industries

Cons

Executives unable to work with each other effectively Continual power struggles across divisions leaves employees working hard and going nowhere at times Review system/stack ranking process is ridiculous and destroys innocent employees careers Too many missed opportunities

Advice to Management

Focus on fixing problems at exec level vs continually beating up your employees through forced calibrations Peer reviews are ridiculous, do you want to run a popularity contest or build businesses? Stop concentrating so much power at the GM/VP level. There needs to be come governance over the GM/VP's who get too much power and make arbitrary people decisions because they don't like someone.