Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Fun experience

Former Employee - Explorer Intern  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

Microsoft - at least in the Office division - is pretty friendly. It's possible to work harder and get noticed. It's not very stressful.

As an intern, Microsoft throws a lot of money at you. Our Intern Signature Event was a trip to Boeing where they got us Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Deadmau5, and Surface Pro's. There were plenty of intern events, and with the intern mailing list, interns could arrange their own events based on specific interests (e.g. showing & discussion of UX lectures). And I got plenty of opportunities to talk to slightly higher-up FTEs.

Microsoft is full of very smart people. By talking to random people at events or on my team, I could have easily insightful discussions (on non-work-related topics).

Cons

The goals of Microsoft don't match the causes that I think are important. We support people volunteering ("day of caring"), but our products don't really aim to improve the world.

Other reviews for Microsoft

Big ship making a big sweeping turn.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Teams are great, strong personalities, and great to work with. Working across groups is difficult as commitments do not align and everyone is focused on their own delivery.

Cons

Bureaucracy and calcified culture. Hot teams are HOT, not teams are not. Rock stars get the spotlight, but the person that delivers every day, the person that executes without self-promotion is no valued.

What does Microsoft aspire to be? Are you hiring, nurturing and retaining talent to get you to that goal? Or, are you filling your team with like-minded resources creating an echo chamber of self-approval?

Great perks, bland project

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Talented and fun group to work in. Help was always available, and most were very friendly. The intern event was incredible. Microsoft puts a lot of value in making sure its interns are happy.

Cons

The project was mundane and far below what should have been given to a potential full-time employee. This ruined the experience for me. I left the company having no idea what I would really be doing for them.

Before hiring an intern, make sure there is an interesting project they could work on.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!