There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Big ship making a big sweeping turn.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Teams are great, strong personalities, and great to work with. Working across groups is difficult as commitments do not align and everyone is focused on their own delivery.

Cons

Bureaucracy and calcified culture. Hot teams are HOT, not teams are not. Rock stars get the spotlight, but the person that delivers every day, the person that executes without self-promotion is no valued.

What does Microsoft aspire to be? Are you hiring, nurturing and retaining talent to get you to that goal? Or, are you filling your team with like-minded resources creating an echo chamber of self-approval?

8108 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great perks, bland project

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Talented and fun group to work in. Help was always available, and most were very friendly. The intern event was incredible. Microsoft puts a lot of value in making sure its interns are happy.

Cons

The project was mundane and far below what should have been given to a potential full-time employee. This ruined the experience for me. I left the company having no idea what I would really be doing for them.

Before hiring an intern, make sure there is an interesting project they could work on.

Program Manager at Microsoft

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Freedom to innovate, ability to work with highly intellectual peers, and the company provides amazing benefits and perks for its employees. Working at Microsoft opens doors to a lot of other companies.

Cons

The annual calibration process is politically driven and peers tend to sabotage each other, work/life balance is not valued, and Steve Ballmer sucks.

If it weren't for the compensation or perks, I'd steer clear. Microsoft has lost its startup magic, and is late to the game in the marketplace.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!