Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

A company full of resources

Director (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGood processes
Lots of resources and experts to talk too
Great benefits
More flexible working styles in about 60% of available jobs, some though are 8-5, or clock oriented
Work with smart people
Beautiful Redmond Campus with Great cafeterias right on campus
Microsoft employees are amazing at Rallying to a new vision, when one is set.

ConsHighly competitive
Expected to work independently, without direction, but still held to a high output goal
Expect to work more like 50 hours a week, including checking email on the weekends
Only hourly employees would get overtime
Such a large company that sometimes there are conflicting agendas: example - "don't hire more vendors that have badge access AND ALSO Headcount freezes and scrutiny on replacing open slots" So, sometimes the work is heavy, but they don't reduce the expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe orange badge policy is silly, for no payback. Either let open spots be filled, or let the employees hire the vendor help.

Change the bell curve model for annual employee reviews. If you hire A+ performers, there is no reason to think that 25% of them will be low performers, mathematically speaking. Inspire everyone to be great by setting divisional goals with rewards.

Get it together Microsoft

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Variety of opportunities. Great talent work there in IC capacity,… Cons: Top heavy with ineffective management. Advice to Senior Management: Manage! Yes...rise to your profession! They have just eliminated the calibration ranking system that forced the elimination of highly qualified, highly productive individual contributors from… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A good place to be, but could be better.

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great benefits, work/life balance, opportunities for advancement, passionate people Cons: Lots of reorgs, process heavy Advice to Senior Management: Less reorgs, please. Every time we change management it seems they… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!