Fair

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Work life balance + Owns entire technology stack

Cons

- Promotion depends on political climate of your team/org - Teams fight turf war to keep their political capital (visibility of features, etc.)

Advice to Management

Thin out the bureaucracy. Have less meaningless meanings. Be more data driven, not political driven.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good, not great company

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation, including benefits, were very good I was able to innovate and get things done in my own style, but was rarely thanked by the company - only my external partners

Cons

Every day was like ground hogs day. You scratch and claw and spend obscene hours working on a PowerPoint deck in order to get funding or a headcount for a project. Once approved, if the manager who approved it moves on, the new one moves in and questions everything. It's as if the proper thing to do is join a new team, assume everyone sucks so try to get them to move on (or worse, fire them) so that you can build your own team of yes-men that try to re-invent the job only to try the same things that failed years earlier. The stack-rank review system was a disaster and made enemies within teams Many of the best people left. I don't know anyone that still works at MS that isn't looking to leave (this is a Seattle-Redmond area comment)

Advice to Management

Instill in middle management that their employees are people, who are good and smart instead of assuming they are dead weight. Until that attitude changes, no amount of money could get me to back to MS, and I was a hi-po, great and dedicated employee for almost 15 years

2. Technology only company

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Good technology. Good process to develop technology. Good benefits.

Cons

Very bad product planning. Only way to get good feature through is if Apply or Google have launched competing products. Performance review system drive some good people away. Especially stack ranking. Due to stack ranking, teams tends to develop "unbiased" performance evaluation criteria that don't help delivering good software.

Advice to Management

In Microsoft, only CEO is accountable for delivering good product, and all other people are accountable for their team's politics. So, it is very important to get a CEO that understand product strategy.