Microsoft
3.6 of 5 7,477 reviews
www.microsoft.com Redmond, WA 5000+ Employees

They take good care of you - but they take a lot out of you

Market Research Manager (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

ProsI love working at Microsoft. No two days are the same, and most days, I'm truly excited to come to work. When I look at the pay my role would receive at other companies, I know it would be difficult to command my current salary - and that is before you add the medical/dental, bonus, stocks, merit raises, training, mentors and a million other things that keep me so happy. This "package" is rare. But it isn't even the best thing about Microsoft. The people are amazing. They are scary bright, but they use it constructively (which is a far cry from the old Microsoft). They want to make you better, so you can all make the product better. I have had some incredibly wonderful managers, and even my worst manager was just a bit distant. The people are the true treasures within Microsoft.

ConsThe worst: I don't see my kids except on the weekends. I'm exhausted a lot of the time. Not everyone around me has to work this hard, so maybe it's me. But I think it's common knowledge that if most companies have a 6-month ramp-up time for a new employee, it's easily 12 months at Microsoft. Also, given that until the recent reorg, Microsoft was actually 7 companies under one roof, I thought it would be easier to move around. But at least from what I've observed, you can get type-cast into a role; people have a hard time accepting a career change. You do move around -- in fact, if you're in the same job for more than two years, people start to wonder if maybe it's because you can't handle a new job -- but it's difficult to truly branch out. Then again, I've heard of employees who worked on three continents before coming back to Redmond, so maybe it's just my crowd. There is also a lot of churn that is seemingly for the sake of churn. In 10 years I've had 14 offices and 16 managers - and those are pitifully low #s compared to some employees. Every reorg stops progress. And there is always the threat of layoff or RIF or elimination of your position, or of getting the dreaded bottom 20%. You never feel truly secure. And they like it that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you want to keep us on edge so that we stay sharp and tuned in. But you've lost some of your best people due to burn-out. I truly love working for this company. But don't make me choose between that and my family.

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.