Good, not great company

Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Total compensation, including benefits, were very good I was able to innovate and get things done in my own style, but was rarely thanked by the company - only my external partners

Cons

Every day was like ground hogs day. You scratch and claw and spend obscene hours working on a PowerPoint deck in order to get funding or a headcount for a project. Once approved, if the manager who approved it moves on, the new one moves in and questions everything. It's as if the proper thing to do is join a new team, assume everyone sucks so try to get them to move on (or worse, fire them) so that you can build your own team of yes-men that try to re-invent the job only to try the same things that failed years earlier. The stack-rank review system was a disaster and made enemies within teams Many of the best people left. I don't know anyone that still works at MS that isn't looking to leave (this is a Seattle-Redmond area comment)

Advice to Management

Instill in middle management that their employees are people, who are good and smart instead of assuming they are dead weight. Until that attitude changes, no amount of money could get me to back to MS, and I was a hi-po, great and dedicated employee for almost 15 years

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Not a good place for young people to join now.

Pros

Big, stable, it is good for good people stay here until death.

Cons

It is too slow for a young people to grow.

Advice to Management

It is time to change

2. Good company but managers can have a huge impact on your satisfaction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Microsoft has some challenging work, and you are typically working with really smart people. The benefits are quite good and they have paid holidays.

Cons

The biggest con is the stupid stack ranking - if you hire great people to begin with, you shouldn't have to get rid of 5-10% each year. Time will tell if the changes recently implemented will actually filter down to the individual contributor.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are your greatest asset