There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Smart people, big egos

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Some of the smartest people you will meet. Good benefits, casual environment, and lots of difficult challenges (which I enjoy). Great offices. Lot's of activities going on and a connection to a lot of departments is possible.

Cons

Big egos. I was a contractor and there were certain people who would (seriously) look at my orange badge (full timers have blue badges) and act like I was somehow less intelligent. Not cool. There is definitely a very cutthroat culture where people are interested in their own careers - maybe at your expense. Highly political environment. Since I was a contractor, this was not a big deal. Full time employees who aren't doing a great job can move to another department, continuing the mediocrity.

8056 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great company for the right period of time

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

A stable company with deep resources to invest in projects and workstreams.

Cons

Potential for stifling culture, low respect for sales and marketing functions.

Move away from engineering centric culture.

Technology only company

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Good technology. Good process to develop technology. Good benefits.

Cons

Very bad product planning. Only way to get good feature through is if Apply or Google have launched competing products.

Performance review system drive some good people away. Especially stack ranking. Due to stack ranking, teams tends to develop "unbiased" performance evaluation criteria that don't help delivering good software.

In Microsoft, only CEO is accountable for delivering good product, and all other people are accountable for their team's politics. So, it is very important to get a CEO that understand product strategy.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!