Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great company, if you have thick skin for politics

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people, different groups with different work environments, great benefits and offices. Good compensation in general.

Cons

Built around a declining business model, and it is noticeable. At some point you can't keep growing without getting bruised with politics. If you're not politically talented, at least will need to have high tolerance towards it and know to stay away from people's destructive path. Switching jobs internally is not simple, and upper management can easily block you using obscure rules.

Make internal transfer easier. It's ridiculous that it's easier to go work for the competition than for another group.

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn about all things software.

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Access to hundreds of thousands of technical experts in every area of technology. If you have a passion for learning, this is the place to start your career.

Cons

Deep culture of arrogance stifles company wide innovation. Typical dysfunctional attitudes include: "We don't own that technology? It's evil." "I can build that better than that other team's implementation." "Look at me, I am here 23 hours a day! I'm so busy!... doing nothing useful."

Advice to lower management: Require time be set aside on a weekly basis for creative innovation projects. Have a weekly meeting where your team demonstrates new ideas. Provide positive reinforcement for good ideas.

Advice to upper management: Provide a performance budget to GMs. Allow GMs to make the math work for the review cycle.

Research Intern

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The research internship program is really well-organized. There're housing, car rental and relocation subsidies, as well as internship only events.

Cons

No option for a return offer.

Consider giving research interns options to work full-time after graduate.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft