Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Smart People

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the most motivated, highly skilled IT people you will ever meet...with a true passion bordering on religion.

Cons

The old saying "if you've got 15 minutes, Microsoft will take it..." absolutely applies. You will be challenged to maintain work/life balance, but if you love winning, the work piece may consume you.

Glad to see the Stack Ranking is gone...advise management to quickly dispose of all vestiges of that culture...

8619 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Smart people, big egos

Former Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people you will meet. Good benefits, casual environment, and lots of difficult challenges (which I enjoy). Great offices. Lot's of activities going on and a connection to a lot of departments is possible.

Cons

Big egos. I was a contractor and there were certain people who would (seriously) look at my orange badge (full timers have blue badges) and act like I was somehow less intelligent. Not cool. There is definitely a very cutthroat culture where people are interested in their own careers - maybe at your expense. Highly political environment. Since I was a contractor, this was not a big deal. Full time employees who aren't doing a great job can move to another department, continuing the mediocrity.

Love the company, hate the model

Current Employee - Time Zone Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Time Zone Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move into new areas. Never ending line of products of services to work on. Literally A to Z in places to take your career. The culture outside of the review model is fun and hard working, there is still a lot of pride and very smart people.

Cons

I've been in leadership at MS for 11 years. I started in the product groups for the first half of my career and have been in various support teams the second half. I've watched the review model slowly erode our culture and people. It looks great on paper, but if it's really so effective why doesn't it apply to Sr. Leadership? Why is it that direct manager is still on the top reasons people leave MS?

if you really want to calibrate people, teach your M1 and M2 managers how to lead. A forced curve is a broad stroke that applies to leading by the lowest common denominator. If you teach leaders how to differentiate, and start looking at leadership as a discipline, there might be still be hope. Invest in your leaders and really TEACH them how to lead and you won't need a forced curve. In 12 yrs at MS I have yet to meet one leader or employee that thinks our review model makes sense. The current system is the worse of the lot and countless smart people are caught up in it and leave. This failure lands squarely on our leadership and rolling out new review models every couple of years will continue to put the focus in the wrong direction. IC's are not the issue, teaching leaders to manage and lead is.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft