Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Research Intern

Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Research Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The research internship program is really well-organized. There're housing, car rental and relocation subsidies, as well as internship only events.

Cons

No option for a return offer.

Consider giving research interns options to work full-time after graduate.

8789 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Couldn't ask for more...

Current Employee - Principal Test Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Test Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Able to work on well established software used worldwide or on small startup projects yet to be used by anyone. Opportunity to shift career across technologies and functional disciplines and limited only by your own imagination and drive. Each day you learn something new about and from one of your amazing coworkers from all over the world.

Cons

Outside perception within the industry about what Microsoft is all about.

Keep working to enable the fantastic folks that work with and around you and continue to celebrate innovation and delivery of high value customer scenarios. Demand the type of continuous improvement from each of the divisions that we all expect and let our customers know the range of scenarios that we can light up for them and that we care about their business.

Great place to learn about all things software.

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Access to hundreds of thousands of technical experts in every area of technology. If you have a passion for learning, this is the place to start your career.

Cons

Deep culture of arrogance stifles company wide innovation. Typical dysfunctional attitudes include: "We don't own that technology? It's evil." "I can build that better than that other team's implementation." "Look at me, I am here 23 hours a day! I'm so busy!... doing nothing useful."

Advice to lower management: Require time be set aside on a weekly basis for creative innovation projects. Have a weekly meeting where your team demonstrates new ideas. Provide positive reinforcement for good ideas.

Advice to upper management: Provide a performance budget to GMs. Allow GMs to make the math work for the review cycle.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft