Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft is a great company.

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Has lots of passionate employees
Is willing to innovate on lots of fronts to change people's life
Open culture in which you can bring up anything to discuss
Great giving campaign

Cons

Too much infighting and ownership (territory) claiming
Poor execution
Poor vision on high level (especially related to online)

8788 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Challenging internship with a great team developing test utilities for Windows Azure

Current Employee - Windows Azure User Experience (User Experience) Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My team was full of both bright and fun people who made going to work every day a pleasure, not only because it was fun, but because they were knowledgeable and reliable.

Cons

I was not placed in the proper team. I should have been in a lower-level position as I had never developed a website before and hadn't shown interest in doing so. That said, I grew from the experience, and getting hired full-time to the right team was a relatively painless process.

Pay more attention to the interests of intern candidates. Although you can do any job for 12 weeks, it unfortunately will often pigeon-hole us at other companies. As an embedded developer before coming to Microsoft, I was quite worried I was only going to find web-dev jobs from other companies.

Much better than the outside perception

Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Moving to a different department is like moving to a different company w/o losing your benefits
    The Redmond campus is beautiful. Even after many years working there I'm still in awe
    Newest hardware and software always available
    Great benefits, work/life balance

Cons

Some of the partner level employees have been in their role for too long. They should retire or start something new. I talked to one recently and asked why he's not retired yet. His answer was that he likes to manage people and be in charge.
    Some teams are mired in red tape and score cards (mainly Kevin Turner's org).

Clean up partner level band, send 25% to retirement (they all can afford it).

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft