Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

A wind of change

Security Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsMany great opportunities, Excellent and motivated communities, good compensation and benefits, the cruel stack ranking system was just recently discontinued. To make the best of this, grab the right opportunities at the right time, be active in a peer community that is compatible with you, and remain positive through any changes.

ConsThe previous stack ranking system has left deep scars in the workforce regarding talent attrition and trust, there are many new and unexperienced managers, too many competing priorities often lead to death by 1000 paper cuts of lower priority issues. To deal with this successfully, you need to be able to let go of annoyances, which may feel like a betrayal of your own values at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you stay on message with respect to the new review model. The new model will weed out a few high-performing employees who do get good work done but who are unable to share successes with others because they are too preoccupied with relative compensation. I think that's OK in that it will lead to a stronger "one Microsoft" long-term.

Happy to hear the review system is being changed

Director (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Microsoft hires the best and the brightest. Your colleagues… Cons: The former review system resulted in an inability for teams… Advice to Senior Management: Now that the review system is being changed, evaluate employees on their… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great perks. Decent environment.

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros: All benefits of working in the corporate world. Cons: Occasional office politics. Sometimes boring jobs. Advice to Senior Management: We need to encourage learning and passion more! More

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!