Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Takes a while (1 yr) to understand what it takes to get things done at Microsoft

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsFlexible work/life balance - most people have kids, easy to come and go as you please. Compensation is good - benefits are competitive, though the new health plan is a pain, since it is no longer a PPO, but they still cover most everything.

ConsBad middle and upper managers, at least in operations. You question how they got where they did - they don't know what it takes to build an organization, culture, transparency, nor do they care. Its everyone for themselves - very little team mentality, support, sharing of information. Culture is bad. Little attention is spent on mapping out a master plan for an organization, so you end up doing a lot of work that doesn't appear meaningful and end up thinking that Microsoft makes money in spite of itself. Managers aren't rewarded for developing people underneath them - i.e. if people get promoted, that isn't rewarded. So, who will cares about your success? only you. No career advisor or someone who will be a champion for you. You have to sell yourself and figure it out on your own. Don't look to management to map out a plan for the organization, for where it is going, or how you fit into it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need more managers that know how to build an organization, build a team, and reward them for this. Right now, you have many middle and upper managers who are terrible organization leaders, people developers. And, there is no penalty for them to build those skills. Its very frustrating.

A good company to start a career.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good company to start a career, many product teams that… Cons: A huge company and decisions could be slow at times. Advice to Senior Management: Focus on competing with external competitors instead of having process… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Microsoft Tragedy 2014: The fall of a good but not preeminently good company because of flawed leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: - Good compensation relative to hours worked (vs Amazon) - Ample team… Cons: - Weak leadership, executive infighting and jockeying - Risk adverse environment prevents bold risks and confident execution. R&D work is no good if you don't… Advice to Senior Management: See cons section. We know that as long as your cushy paychecks keep coming, you can continue to make decisions far from the dire… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!