Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A good company to start a career.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to start a career, many product teams that you can easily find one that fits your interests.

Cons

A huge company and decisions could be slow at times.

Focus on competing with external competitors instead of having process that results in internal competition.

9002 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Microsoft Tragedy 2014: The fall of a good but not preeminently good company because of flawed leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation relative to hours worked (vs Amazon)
    - Ample team and company resources to enable people to execute
    - R&D develops innovative technology

Cons

- Weak leadership, executive infighting and jockeying
    - Risk adverse environment prevents bold risks and confident execution. R&D work is no good if you don't monetize it... and we didn't even develop Kinnect, so don't take credit for Prime Sense's work.
    - We have more in common with Blackberry and Barnes & Noble than our competitors.
    - All the smart people have or are leaving. Just look at the number of GMs applying to local SMB tech companies as we speak. (I am already planning my own route out after a decade!)

See cons section. We know that as long as your cushy paychecks keep coming, you can continue to make decisions far from the dire reality currently facing the company but reality will hit soon. Please don't wait for Alan & his Ford lieutenants to save the day, be the face of change and start thinking macro, not micro.

Could be a great company if they wiped out the middle tier politicians that don't contribute anything except chaos.

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits are best anywhere, best work life balance, 25% pure talent, 50% pure waste, and 25% demoralized.

Cons

Review system, culture and politics are destroying this company.

Listen to outside world, hire a management consulting firm to tell you what's wrong and follow their advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft