Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers are, for the most part, invested in your career and your success (I've only encountered a few bad managers and they tended not to last long)
Lots of focus on ownership and product impact
Great benefits and pay
People are amazingly talented and fun to work with
Finally feels like we're building something together as a company, not just silos

Cons

You'll get harassed at parties ("I hate Vista, my computer is broken, Skype didn't work last night")
Senior management isn't always great at communicating downward which sometimes results in confusion
There are still some old (OLD) tools being used in engineering and it sucks when you have to go touch them

Keep conceptually simplifying our product lines, it's getting easier to explain our business strategy to the outside world but we're not there yet

9002 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Product Advisor

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Microsoft part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really helpful coworkers and I really enjoy the workplace environment

Cons

I have no negative comment

Excellent management

Great place to work if you're willing to keep an open mind

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable job. Certain teams have very interesting things going on. You meet people with different years of experience and there are some valuable things you can learn from them. Lots of benefits and good multiplier effect on pay with cash and stock bonuses.

Cons

Re-orgs destroy everything. Several teams are dead weight on the rest of the company, but ignored because the company is a profit machine. Far too many processes and practices about this company come from the 20th century, which really slow things down. Not relevant anymore, but the stack rank caused us to lose far too much talent for no good reason.

Get rid of large chunks of the middle management. Give more ownership to devs.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft