Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great Company, but aging

Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great projects, great people, commands respect in the industry, you can do things that are impossible with smaller companies. We rule the Enterprise and they happily give us an awful lot of money because we deliver stuff that they understand, and that works.

Cons

- Too many middle managers and middling management, too much internal competition, passionate but unimaginative leadership.
- Too much cost watching from management and not enough good ideas.
- We have gone from being successful "fast followers" to just plain "followers".
- We have problems coping with complexity.
- Willingness to leverage advanced technology (that involves math and mental effort) is very limited.
- Overemphasis on "simplicity" leads to poor solutions.

Not enough Ozzys, ok, he didn't work out, but he had the right approach. Too many KTs, cost cutting and cheerleading salesmanship will increase profits (we are great at that), but will not create great products.The only sure bet would be to break up the company. Either that or find a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Good luck with that (I mean it).

9244 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Solid company to work for. Great products but lacking innovation.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Superb benefits. Very smart people. Access to best technology. Reasonable salaries. Good for a steady job. Some teams support innovation and agile processes but not all. There is a lot of freedom in the way you do your work. A lot of focus is there on keeping employees happy which resulted in the recent overhaul of the review system.

Cons

Some teams have way too much process. Slow to get to the consumer and slow to innovate because of ancient release methodologies. There is a lot of unnecessary re-organization because of changes to upper management which causes flux to teams that are doing good work. There isn't a cohesive strategy within bigger teams because there are multiple senior level people who want to assert their ideas which causes teams to get pulled in different directions over time. With the latest One Microsoft strategy this is getting reduced but we aren't there yet.

Find a long term goal that aligns with the rest of the company, stick to it, find new ways to innovate so we retain market share. And share tools and strategies across teams to move ahead faster.

Great company, but something of a dated culture. Needs to become more agile to remain successful.

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager Lead in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good pay, fun opportunities, very driven and competitive.

Cons

Poor environment, dated offices, many people sharing small offices - though improvements are begin made. Super competitive.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft