There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Great Company, but aging

Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great projects, great people, commands respect in the industry, you can do things that are impossible with smaller companies. We rule the Enterprise and they happily give us an awful lot of money because we deliver stuff that they understand, and that works.

Cons

- Too many middle managers and middling management, too much internal competition, passionate but unimaginative leadership.
- Too much cost watching from management and not enough good ideas.
- We have gone from being successful "fast followers" to just plain "followers".
- We have problems coping with complexity.
- Willingness to leverage advanced technology (that involves math and mental effort) is very limited.
- Overemphasis on "simplicity" leads to poor solutions.

Advice to Management

Not enough Ozzys, ok, he didn't work out, but he had the right approach. Too many KTs, cost cutting and cheerleading salesmanship will increase profits (we are great at that), but will not create great products.The only sure bet would be to break up the company. Either that or find a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Good luck with that (I mean it).

reviews filtered by

Great place to work if you're willing to keep an open mind

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable job. Certain teams have very interesting things going on. You meet people with different years of experience and there are some valuable things you can learn from them. Lots of benefits and good multiplier effect on pay with cash and stock bonuses.

Cons

Re-orgs destroy everything. Several teams are dead weight on the rest of the company, but ignored because the company is a profit machine. Far too many processes and practices about this company come from the 20th century, which really slow things down. Not relevant anymore, but the stack rank caused us to lose far too much talent for no good reason.

Advice to Management

Get rid of large chunks of the middle management. Give more ownership to devs.

2. Product Advisor

Former Employee - Product Advisor in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Advisor in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Microsoft part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really helpful coworkers and I really enjoy the workplace environment

Cons

I have no negative comment

Advice to Management

Excellent management

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft