Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Brilliant place to work at

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

The pay is good and the job experience enriching

Cons

The graveyard shifts were affecting my health

NA

9236 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

High performing, well appointed, good place to work

Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Autonomy, you are given expectations and provided you are a self starter, are innovative and driven, you should be able to succeed.

Cons

Individual contributors need to be aware that the perception of success often falls to you becoming management.
    If you are in the wrong team, you can be disparaged very easily - rumors do fly.

Skip levels. Do them, in prior teams they maintained the balance. My last team failed and contributed to my leaving the company after nearly a decade.

Mixed bag of goodies

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

$$$. Salary is less than Facebook or Google, but it's still significantly higher than most places. If you do good work and make sure the right people know about it, you'll be richly rewarded. Almost everyone here is extremely smart, so it keeps you on your toes. I also love having my own office.

Cons

Re-orgs. Ugh. Considering the fact that your managers' perception of your work is more important than your actual work (like any other corporate environment), dealing with the constant trauma of re-orgs is disheartening. A pending re-org all but guarantees that you won't get any credit for your short-term work, so if your goal is recognition and high reviews, you have to actively manage your career by finding a manager you like and following him/her through every org change. Also, even though everyone is extremely smart, egos are very high.

I'm skeptical about the new review system: It sounds exactly like the old one but now with new vocabulary and less transparency.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft