There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Excellent place to work, tackling big challenges in our industry

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong self-awareness as a company, made up of highly driven individuals. High IQ but with values that focus on EQ as well, people that thrive have a good balance of skills. Ambitious market objectives with a strong focus on our customers, strong focus on community and giving back.

Cons

Very complex business processes and overlapping interests and challenges. Hard organization to learn as a new hire, difficult to navigate. Difficultly getting amazing R&D work into the hands of customers fast enough, tough to grow new businesses due to the high expectations (revenue, market share) of senior execs.

Advice to Management

We need to simplify and streamline businesses (reorgs underway, need to accelerate) and create an environment where new ideas and businesses are brought to market much more quickly. Embrace cannibalization and "burn the boats" more frequently.

reviews filtered by
  1. Use to be fun creative environment

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time I was there we rolled out Windows 95 - the company was on the leading edge of developing its software technologies. They were aggressive in reaching for success.

Cons

No work-life balance, stack ranking review process brought unfairness to some.

Advice to Management

Bring in some employee compassion and allow people to have a life - and start getting aggressive about being successful and one of the best.......my stock options could use a boost.

2. Awesome work and people, but tons of politics

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, smart people to work with. Challenging work and projects.

Cons

Politics and "checking the box" on unimportant things and processes overshadowed the actual work to be done. Review process focused too much on politics rather than actual accomplishments

Advice to Management

The "new" review model still incorporates stack ranking even though it is hidden from employees. Focus on accomplishments of the people as opposed to those that play the political game.