Fascinating work.

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New ideas and process are always in demand for those that can produce them.

Cons

There is so much to do that one needs to be very capable of self management. Learn how to get it done during the workday.

Advice to Management

Perks need to stay competitive with other hight tech companies.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Positive, standard quirks for the big corp. % Ratio of competent, non super arrogant, product focused people is decent.

Former Employee - Software Architect in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity of efforts, diversity of people. Driven to ship (in most parts) technical folks . Lots of competency in development.

Cons

in places stagnation, abrasive politics. High % of "underperforming not interested fat" among people, especially middle mgmt.

2. Working at Microsoft was engaging and rewarding because of the great people and work environment.

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Build products that millions of users use everyday. Work with great coworkers that are smart and dedicated. Great work environment. Employees are well taken care of.

Cons

Big Company Can be slow moving sometimes Too many meetings Politics Stack ranking created a bad work environment in a lot of cases. (They have recently gotten ride of stack ranking)

Advice to Management

Improve manager and lead training. Managers and leads go through very little required training. It seems like the best developers are rewarded by moving them into management which does not make sense in a lot of cases. I think Microsoft build a program to discover employees that would make great managers. Most managers that I had at Microsoft did not spend enough time on providing actionable feedback. Most of the feed back was provided and then we moved onto our tasks.