Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Really great company to work for in terms of work-life balance, benefits/perks, and general happiness!

Former Employee - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Explorer Intern in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- The company treats it's employees great! Free gym membership, free transit pass, subsidized housing for interns, lots of free swag
- Just three words: Intern Signature Event. Best night of my entire internship by far. We got to taste all the best foods of Seattle, saw Macklemore and Deadmau5 in concert, got tours of the Boeing factory in Duck Tour Boats, and received a surface pro 2 as an intern gift (before it was even released to the public!!)
- Lots of events and after-work programs for everyone! I attended "Stay and Draw" events, salsa lessons, etc.
- The campus is very nice and there's shuttle service to different buildings
- Ppl don't care which internet browser, phone, or search engine you use (my over-consciousness about the whole thing was really just in my head, more than anything)
- Upper management is very accessible and willing to talk to interns (I was able to ask the dev manager of my team for 1-on-1 lunch and she was very nice!)
- Lots of opportunities for career growth
- Lots of supports from mentors as an intern
- Lots of fun intern-only events :D

Cons

- I was in Office, so the development cycles were really long (although much shorter than what it used to be)
- The recruiters can be EXTREMELY pushy. They won't take no for an answer, and they don't seem to understand why, as a student, you'd want to experience other companies/industries
- Sometimes it feels like Microsoft fosters mediocrity
- Felt like my intern project didn't have much impact

Give more relevant intern projects that make an impact

9020 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Incredibly smart people poisoned by back stabbing review system

Former Employee - User Experience Designer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and very good benefits (great health insurance, discount gym membership, free bus pass, showers/locker rooms and locked bike storage, etc.)
    Flexible hours - just get your work done on time and meet deadlines
    Informal culture
    Tons of different projects and teams
    Free internal training programs, many of which are quite good
    Largest privately held free-communing/shuttle system in the country (MS Connector)
    Incredibly smart, driven people - not a lot of "dead weight" here

Cons

Review system pits colleagues against each other for promotions, pay raises, bonuses and stock awards. If you aren't moving up, you're moving out. Collaboration is encouraged, but absolutely not rewarded due to the review system. I know they have recently stopped the stack ranking process, but the culture around it has been in place for decades and will not be easy to change.

Also, because of this culture of "me first", and a history/culture centered on technology/code to solve problems, Microsoft doesn't really care or know how to care about its customers. They have top-notch researchers with PhDs who don't know how and don't have the time to conduct proper user research. The few that do aren't valued. As a result, the focus is on features, code and getting promotions, not understanding real-world customer needs and collaborating as a team to solve them. I found this frustrating and prevented me from getting excited about the projects on which I worked because I knew they weren't going to really help solve the users' problems.

Interestingly, management seems to know that they have a cultural problem and they want to change it, they just aren't sure how. This is at least a promising sign that Microsoft has the potential to turn itself around and realize its full potential. My advice would be to focus on understanding customers' needs and wants. Invest in user research, specifically ethnography and social anthropology studies, not surveys, site visits and usability studies (although they have their place as well). Next, do whatever it takes to build a culture that rewards collaboration rather than stifling it. I truly wish you all the best of luck. If Microsoft can address these two issues, I believe their potential will be amazing. Time will tell if Satya Nadella can get his management teams to make these changes a reality.

Program manager 2

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good work environment. Good pay

Cons

Nothing bad about this company

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft