Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Intern experience was very positive and great learning opportunity/resume builder

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive team, interesting projects to work on. Clear career path/progression. Fun activities outside of work.

Cons

Big company, limited impact overall, sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Lots of politics to do well on reviews from what others told me.

8992 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Smart people and team spirit

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the excitement of working on a new product and feeling like part of something big. I never missed a company party or meeting - there's nothing like clapping and using noisemakers with 18,000 other Microsofties when Steve Ballmer comes running out onto the stage at Safeco Field.

Cons

The performance review system is broken. I hear they're fixing it, but I'm skeptical. The lean, innovative teams of 15 years ago are being replaced by bureaucracy and too many meetings.

Stop putting 31-year-old MBAs without a clue in charge as Group Managers.

Try to avoid letting us work really hard on projects for a couple of years and then pulling the rug out from under us.

SMART goals aren't so smart. How about making it OK for us to get really, really good at our jobs, instead of telling us that excellent work is a "C", and that to get any recognition you have to do heroics completely outside your job description?

Cloud and Enterprise Business within Microsoft

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The division that generates infrastructure and server software has been a quiet but strong performer over the years - and it isn't by accident. The strategy has been sound and leadership very clear - delivering strong business performance over consecutive quarters. This has been a great division to work in. The people are top notch - if you enjoy working with smart talented people, Microsoft is a great place to be.

Promotions are frequent thru the IC ranks - but as with any role, gets more challenging as you start managing people. The Director/Principle levels are particularly congested - expect it to be hyper competitive.

Benefits are strong and progressive - competitive with any company in the industry. As you earn tenure in the company, vacation time increases substantially, up to 5 weeks off/year as a US employee (other geos vary)

Finally, in terms of career opportunities, the great thing about Microsoft is it's diversity of businesses. From consumer to enterprise, Cloud to embedded software - there are a plethora of opportunities and no shortage of interesting roles.

Cons

Though the culture is changing (and hopefully, with a new CEO, it will accelerate), the company still relies too heavily on individual heroics. The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist.

There is also a ton of complexity in the processes of the company - a necessary evil in any large organization. This complexity forces too much time to be expended on internal issues as opposed to focusing on driving the business, seeking new opportunities.

Finally, the company has a tendency to elect "direct" strategies in key growth areas. Whether it is getting into the phone business by buying a handset vendor or building our own search engine - Microsoft needs to focus and bet on more disruptive strategy plays, changing the rules of the game like many newcomers have done in the last decade.

Don't just reward good performance, reward on innovation that is not par for the course - but has the potential to be a real disruptive force in the market. Continue to dial up and showcase examples of cross group collaboration - reinforce "sum of parts > whole" messaging. Invest in new skills acquisition - either thru talent sourcing or training programs. Fewer, big bets - ones that we are really setting up to win.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft