Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Experience was really and people were kind

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The environement and cuulture is very good

Cons

They do not offer free food

8768 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Very exciting journey so far...

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. No matter where your passion lies, you can find something at Microsoft. In my seven years at Microsoft, I've seen people move across disciplines (Dev <-> PM <-> Test), technology stacks, teams, products, office location etc.

2. Roles are not airtight. I've seen Dev/test define the products and I've seen PMs churn out code - it really depends on you.

3. Generally very open culture - I been in meetings with DEs and they are fantastic to work with.

4. Great workplace - I can requisition furniture / books / hardware etc without filling out thirty forms or having to get approval from my upper management.

5. Great workplace II - (Generally) Very smart and aware people. Most people I've worked with are receptive to feedback and will accept fault and move on. This may be specific to my org though but I haven't noticed any politicking amongst the individual contributors.

6. Benefits... Best in the industry (if you ignore the free food bandwagon).

I can go on and on...

Cons

1. There's a desire to create something new that works for our customers but it is often orthognal to what our competitors are doing which leads to a lot of debates on how to proceed.

2. Lots of legacy code. In general, changing something that's been around for a long time is difficult. Breaking changes are avoided and that sometimes limits the degrees of freedom for product design.

Cloud and Enterprise Business within Microsoft

Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The division that generates infrastructure and server software has been a quiet but strong performer over the years - and it isn't by accident. The strategy has been sound and leadership very clear - delivering strong business performance over consecutive quarters. This has been a great division to work in. The people are top notch - if you enjoy working with smart talented people, Microsoft is a great place to be.

Promotions are frequent thru the IC ranks - but as with any role, gets more challenging as you start managing people. The Director/Principle levels are particularly congested - expect it to be hyper competitive.

Benefits are strong and progressive - competitive with any company in the industry. As you earn tenure in the company, vacation time increases substantially, up to 5 weeks off/year as a US employee (other geos vary)

Finally, in terms of career opportunities, the great thing about Microsoft is it's diversity of businesses. From consumer to enterprise, Cloud to embedded software - there are a plethora of opportunities and no shortage of interesting roles.

Cons

Though the culture is changing (and hopefully, with a new CEO, it will accelerate), the company still relies too heavily on individual heroics. The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist.

There is also a ton of complexity in the processes of the company - a necessary evil in any large organization. This complexity forces too much time to be expended on internal issues as opposed to focusing on driving the business, seeking new opportunities.

Finally, the company has a tendency to elect "direct" strategies in key growth areas. Whether it is getting into the phone business by buying a handset vendor or building our own search engine - Microsoft needs to focus and bet on more disruptive strategy plays, changing the rules of the game like many newcomers have done in the last decade.

Don't just reward good performance, reward on innovation that is not par for the course - but has the potential to be a real disruptive force in the market. Continue to dial up and showcase examples of cross group collaboration - reinforce "sum of parts > whole" messaging. Invest in new skills acquisition - either thru talent sourcing or training programs. Fewer, big bets - ones that we are really setting up to win.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft