There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Always been a great company to work for

Current Employee - Program Manager II
Current Employee - Program Manager II

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management is really good at allowing you time in your life to get it straight. As long as you meet your commitments there is no real pressure to over work.

Cons

Managers are chosen from those who want to be managers and have a good track record of performance. What this means is that you may get a manager who has no experience at it, or is a horrible people person.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to learn how to really develop software

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Microsoft is still relevant, and has great development processes, but do try to join an org who wholly adopts agile if that's your thing. I've seen both Scrum and waterfall done well. I've also seen a large org make the shift and they were quite successful.

There really is nothing like being at MSFT when your org is asked to create a new product. Its staggering what 250 engineers can do in short timeframes with high quality.

if you are early in your career, you'll get great experience here.

As the workforce has gentrified, work life balance has improved a lot.

Cons

New college hires do usually put in longer than average hours while competing tor promotions due to the stack rank.

At higher levels, political savvy is extremely helpful to get promoted. Lots of cross group collaboration is needed to get others on your manager's side for the stack rank.

Advice to Management

Hard to say since the company is under new management. I worked for Satya, and respect his leadership.

2. Great place to work!

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

People working with you are very smart kind and helpful. You are likely to have your own office which is not common amount other softweare companies.

Cons

Not really any cons. The food is not free unlike some companies which I think is one of the most useful perk that can be offered to any developer.