Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Spent a third of my life working there, enjoyed the first ten years

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started there it was a company full of wickedly smart people who all worked tirelessly, and sometimes isolated, to move the company forward. It was always a meritocracy and I was ok with that as you got to work on cutting edge technologies. The career development there was stellar and I was presented with multiple international opportunities that allowed me to make my home in the USA with stints in Europe and Asia to round out my experience.

Cons

Over the last few years the changes to the review model killed collaboration, you became pitched lock step in battle with your peers fighting for a review score that you could apply a dollar amount to. I understand that has gone now and that is the only reason why I give it three stars now as there is a chance that the changes will fix this.

The company has too much middle management and a lot of it is mediocre. Sadly I became one of those mediocre middle managers because I could not connect the work that my 80+ person team was doing with the success of the company and my game face wasn't good enough to help motivate my team. So I got out and haven't looked back since. I just learned my team is about to get cut by 75% as they are being 'merged' with another one.

With the new CEO at the helm there is a big opportunity for change. He needs to kill as much of the tired, hapless middle management as possible and restructure the company so teams are rewarded for their progress and failing teams are penalized appropriately. Keep it a meritocracy but reward the high performing TEAMS not individuals.

9035 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Maximum politics, Minimum capability

Current Employee - Program Manager I in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager I in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance if you insist. Probably not good for your performance review.

Cons

- Too many unqualified employees. This detracts from any useful work.
    - Everybody is here for the political gameplay. The idea is to seem like you're doing useful work so as to get to the next step. Doesn't matter who you trample along the way.

Lots of opportunities, so keep moving

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A challenging, interesting, mostly enjoyable place to work.
    Great work-live balance
    Tons of resources to enable you to do what you need to do for your business
    Can make positive impact on people's lives through citizenship programs
    BUT:
    You must manage your career - no one else will
    Don't stay in one place too long, or you lose relevance
    Treat each job like a project, and move on once you've achieved your goals in role

Cons

Wasteful spending and lack of accountability
    Many projects seem to be career enhancing as opposed to adding company value
    Competitive review system doesn't promote collaboration or long term thinking

Reward the right behaviors - work that results in long term value for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft