Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

Pros

An internship at Microsoft has been a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pay and benefits for interns is better than most other internships. Above this, however, the way in which Microsoft structures their internships is very refreshing compared to past internships I've had. Intern projects at Microsoft are incredibly well thought out and are designed so that you can complete them during the summer, make an impact, and not have to learn every intricacy of the product you are working on.

As for working for Microsoft in general, everyone seems to be very happy with their jobs and I have yet to see much that would make me want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a negative, but I would say that your experience here, much like at other companies, is very much dependent on your group and the people you work with. There of course have been a few stories of interns who work for groups they simply don't like. For the most part, however, the groups are all very enthusiastic and fun to work with.

I was probably not at the company long enough to make a reasonable assessment of Senior Management at Microsoft. Although I can say that everyone I have had contact with that is in a management position above me has been nothing but enjoyable.

Other reviews for Microsoft

Great career opportunity at a stable company

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great opportunity to grow your career. There are vast number of different teams that operate on different principles, different goals, different technologies, you can almost always find a career path that interests you.
    The ability to work with some of the brightest people out there is something that's often overlooked and taken for granted while you are at Microsoft. Imagine any technical issue you run into, you have access to unlimited technical people, including those that designed the feature. This is invaluable to those geeks like us.

Cons

The size of company has grown to a point where there is too much bureacracy. Decision making are slower than a startup. There are many hoops you have to jump through sometimes to get everyone to buyoff, which means you spend more time on process rather than core engineering.

Flatten the org!

An ideal environment to grow as a Software Engineer.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

Pros

Very challenging work environment that forces you to be actively involved in all phases of the Software Lifecycle. It is an ideal place to grow across all facets of a Software Engineer.

Cons

The very aggressive schedules make for a very difficult work/life balance. Management makes it a point to express a good balance, but when it comes down to it, deadlines are deadlines, and management will throw caution to the wind to ensure the product hits RTM (Release to Market) on time.

Instead of following the status quo and attempting to improve on what's already existing, try to put more emphasis on Research and implementing new and exciting ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!