There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

SDE Internship at Microsoft - Great Experience

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

An internship at Microsoft has been a great experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pay and benefits for interns is better than most other internships. Above this, however, the way in which Microsoft structures their internships is very refreshing compared to past internships I've had. Intern projects at Microsoft are incredibly well thought out and are designed so that you can complete them during the summer, make an impact, and not have to learn every intricacy of the product you are working on.

As for working for Microsoft in general, everyone seems to be very happy with their jobs and I have yet to see much that would make me want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Not really a negative, but I would say that your experience here, much like at other companies, is very much dependent on your group and the people you work with. There of course have been a few stories of interns who work for groups they simply don't like. For the most part, however, the groups are all very enthusiastic and fun to work with.

I was probably not at the company long enough to make a reasonable assessment of Senior Management at Microsoft. Although I can say that everyone I have had contact with that is in a management position above me has been nothing but enjoyable.

8069 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great career opportunity at a stable company

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great opportunity to grow your career. There are vast number of different teams that operate on different principles, different goals, different technologies, you can almost always find a career path that interests you.
    The ability to work with some of the brightest people out there is something that's often overlooked and taken for granted while you are at Microsoft. Imagine any technical issue you run into, you have access to unlimited technical people, including those that designed the feature. This is invaluable to those geeks like us.

Cons

The size of company has grown to a point where there is too much bureacracy. Decision making are slower than a startup. There are many hoops you have to jump through sometimes to get everyone to buyoff, which means you spend more time on process rather than core engineering.

Flatten the org!

Great place for a more conforming personality with expectations in check

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

-Job security
    -Work/life balance
    -Generally, hands off management (good and bad)
    -Benefits
    -Technology and knowledge sharing (if you know how to access it)
    -Being around smart people

Cons

-Fish in a big pool
    -Parity in pay vs other companies (not bad, not good)
    -Lifeless stock
    -Feeling of stifled innovation
    -More cohesion between groups and people and less competition

-Technical foresight, leadership, and inspiration from execs (i.e. filling Bill's gap) and not just business leadership
    -Demonstrate more instances of MSR to product
    -Allow better channels of innovation from product groups and individuals
    -Improve ESPP
    -Better system of rewarding group/team contributions

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!