Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Great benefits; Bad middle managers

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsGreat benefits - PTO (3-5 weeks), 2 weeks Sick Leave, 4 weeks Paternity/12 weeks maternity leave PTO, very good health plan with HSA (employee has to pay out-of-pocket until a deductible is met, company contributes too; Plan was great till end of 2012), individual office with lots of privacy - this is a great plus if you are coming from a cubicle culture, flexible hours, great infrastructure, lots of smart engineers, good pay compared to others in the Seattle area. If you can shut yourself off of the middle management incompetency and maintain a good relationship with everyone, you'll get a steady growth. Work-life balance in general is very good with 40-50 hours though it depends on the team where you may have to put in 60+ hours and weekends. Consider working for a core team if you want to be around smart engineers.

ConsManagers push busy work. Generally incompetent middle managers - tons of politics. It's not what you contribute that counts - it is your relationship with your lead and his/her manager that weighs heavily in your reviews. Most middle managers cannot get a job outside of Microsoft - even if they did, they cannot get the benefits that Microsoft offers so they stick on. Getting things done can be a pain. Most non-core teams have incompetent team members at almost all levels. There are frequent re-organizations across the company. It is common to go through 7-10 managers in a period of 5-6 years and it affects growth badly even if you are very smart. Most managers lack the maturity to be managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate the divisions. Please re-align business and get rid of the incompetent middle managers in the senior and principal bands. Re-evaluate competencies and calibrate the engineers and managers. Microsoft is a great place to work and it can be made made better by getting more efficient.

Great benefits, boring and unfilling job

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros: The hours were great. I worked from 8 to 3 everyday. A lot of people in my group worked a ton of hours… Cons: I hear this is different at other parts of the company but I was working in the US M&O. It's supposedly a marketing group… Advice to Senior Management: Microsoft's structure is bloated. There are too many people doing a few jobs so everyone gets into a habit of managing up in order… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: There are a lot of great things about Microsoft. There are so many great, intelligent, innovative, talented and fun people who work there. They… Cons: Loosen the purse strings! If you develop software, you have it made. Microsoft pays the developers very well which I understand but the rest of… Advice to Senior Management: Stop playing favorites! Be honest with your employees and be sure to support them so they get the compensation they deserve. Give people more career… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!