Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Lots of opportunities, but a challenging culture.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, lots of movement if you like to change jobs alot. Company is so big and in so many markets and market segments just about every job you would ever want exists somewhere at the company. Employee review process, goal setting process and career growth process are very formalized.

Cons

I worked there while the employee stack rank and scoring process was still in place. As a people manager and as an individual contributor I had both positive and negative experiences with the process. Top performers were rewarded, but I was also required to make decisions which I didn't think were fair to my staff.

9049 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, boring and unfilling job

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours were great. I worked from 8 to 3 everyday. A lot of people in my group worked a ton of hours but I felt that they were doing mostly BS work such as spending a lot of time tweaking numbers on a Excel spreadsheet that they would then copy and paste into a PowerPoint that no would be able to read anyway. I never understood why people spent so much time on presentation that were still so terrible in the end.

The benefits were also great. I don't have kids, but it seemed great for people with kids. If your kid gets sick, you can just work from home for a day. The flexibility is amazing.

In general, work life balance at Microsoft is great for the life part of the equation, but not so great for the work part of it.

Cons

I hear this is different at other parts of the company but I was working in the US M&O. It's supposedly a marketing group but no marketing gets done. People mostly spend their time trying to wave their arms so their manager or manager's manager feels that marketing is being accomplished. It's the biggest waste of time I've ever seen.

Microsoft's structure is bloated. There are too many people doing a few jobs so everyone gets into a habit of managing up in order to show that there is enough to work to warrant a job position. In the end, people get promoted based on political clout rather than actual ability or delivery. There are deep cultural problems here. Microsoft feels like a place where 40 year olds go to retire.

A great place to spend a few years or a career.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, many options across plenty of products, unlimited growth potential. It's an exciting time to join the company, many of their technologies are finally converging!

Cons

Often multiple teams will be solving a very similar problem at the same time. This results in a re-org or features being entirely abandoned. With that said, things are improving. There is also a lot of competition among peers because the review model used to be entirely relative to your peers. If you did a great job but were on a team full of rock stars, you don't don't get a good review.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft