Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Great benefits, boring and unfilling job

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The hours were great. I worked from 8 to 3 everyday. A lot of people in my group worked a ton of hours but I felt that they were doing mostly BS work such as spending a lot of time tweaking numbers on a Excel spreadsheet that they would then copy and paste into a PowerPoint that no would be able to read anyway. I never understood why people spent so much time on presentation that were still so terrible in the end.

The benefits were also great. I don't have kids, but it seemed great for people with kids. If your kid gets sick, you can just work from home for a day. The flexibility is amazing.

In general, work life balance at Microsoft is great for the life part of the equation, but not so great for the work part of it.

Cons

I hear this is different at other parts of the company but I was working in the US M&O. It's supposedly a marketing group but no marketing gets done. People mostly spend their time trying to wave their arms so their manager or manager's manager feels that marketing is being accomplished. It's the biggest waste of time I've ever seen.

Microsoft's structure is bloated. There are too many people doing a few jobs so everyone gets into a habit of managing up in order to show that there is enough to work to warrant a job position. In the end, people get promoted based on political clout rather than actual ability or delivery. There are deep cultural problems here. Microsoft feels like a place where 40 year olds go to retire.

Other reviews for Microsoft

Lots of opportunities, but a challenging culture.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Competitive salaries, lots of movement if you like to change jobs alot. Company is so big and in so many markets and market segments just about every job you would ever want exists somewhere at the company. Employee review process, goal setting process and career growth process are very formalized.

Cons

I worked there while the employee stack rank and scoring process was still in place. As a people manager and as an individual contributor I had both positive and negative experiences with the process. Top performers were rewarded, but I was also required to make decisions which I didn't think were fair to my staff.

Great benefits but too stressful

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

The best benefits around: good pay, excellent medical, free drinks, etc.

Cons

Very stressful and hectic; cut throat culture and no room for 'nice guys'. No matter how much you give, more is needed. Granted this may be different between groups within the company.

Pay attention to everyone, it seems you pay more attention to and acknowledge those who are very vocal but you seem to ignore those who are more reserved.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!