There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

A great place to spend a few years or a career.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, many options across plenty of products, unlimited growth potential. It's an exciting time to join the company, many of their technologies are finally converging!

Cons

Often multiple teams will be solving a very similar problem at the same time. This results in a re-org or features being entirely abandoned. With that said, things are improving. There is also a lot of competition among peers because the review model used to be entirely relative to your peers. If you did a great job but were on a team full of rock stars, you don't don't get a good review.

Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft

1. Once great, now declining

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits Includes a stay fit program, you get $800 to spend every year on health activities Global company enables to build relationships around the world Good salary

Cons

Culture is changing from creative go get it to what does my boss think If you are outside of Redmond and your team is there, it is hard to evolve in your career.

Advice to Management

Too many re-orgs affect career development, too many managers, poor manager-employee relationship when you are remote.

2. Lots of opportunities, but a challenging culture.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, lots of movement if you like to change jobs alot. Company is so big and in so many markets and market segments just about every job you would ever want exists somewhere at the company. Employee review process, goal setting process and career growth process are very formalized.

Cons

I worked there while the employee stack rank and scoring process was still in place. As a people manager and as an individual contributor I had both positive and negative experiences with the process. Top performers were rewarded, but I was also required to make decisions which I didn't think were fair to my staff.