A great place to spend a few years or a career.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, many options across plenty of products, unlimited growth potential. It's an exciting time to join the company, many of their technologies are finally converging!

Cons

Often multiple teams will be solving a very similar problem at the same time. This results in a re-org or features being entirely abandoned. With that said, things are improving. There is also a lot of competition among peers because the review model used to be entirely relative to your peers. If you did a great job but were on a team full of rock stars, you don't don't get a good review.

Other Reviews for Microsoft

Great benefits, boring and unfilling job

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours were great. I worked from 8 to 3 everyday. A lot of people in my group worked a ton of hours but I felt that they were doing mostly BS work such as spending a lot of time tweaking numbers on a Excel spreadsheet that they would then copy and paste into a PowerPoint that no would be able to read anyway. I never understood why people spent so much time on presentation that were still so terrible in the end.

The benefits were also great. I don't have kids, but it seemed great for people with kids. If your kid gets sick, you can just work from home for a day. The flexibility is amazing.

In general, work life balance at Microsoft is great for the life part of the equation, but not so great for the work part of it.

Cons

I hear this is different at other parts of the company but I was working in the US M&O. It's supposedly a marketing group but no marketing gets done. People mostly spend their time trying to wave their arms so their manager or manager's manager feels that marketing is being accomplished. It's the biggest waste of time I've ever seen.

Microsoft's structure is bloated. There are too many people doing a few jobs so everyone gets into a habit of managing up in order to show that there is enough to work to warrant a job position. In the end, people get promoted based on political clout rather than actual ability or delivery. There are deep cultural problems here. Microsoft feels like a place where 40 year olds go to retire.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a lot of great things about Microsoft. There are so many great, intelligent, innovative, talented and fun people who work there. They are diverse and I respect that. I loved being on the cutting edge of technology. It was great having all the new Microsoft technology right there for us to use. The company has good benefits too. They do their best to make the work environment comfortable and provide a lot of alternative places to sit and work. They have a healthy attitude toward letting employees work at home with very flexible hours. I worked here for several years and I saw many changes over that time - some good, some not so good. Overall, I enjoyed most of my time at Microsoft.

Cons

Loosen the purse strings! If you develop software, you have it made. Microsoft pays the developers very well which I understand but the rest of the company isn't always better than average pay. It totally depends on the group your in (not the job you do). Compensation is not fairly provided. I hope with moving to a new review model it will improve. Microsoft likes to cry poor even though there is billions in savings. They have lost a lot of good talent due to compensation. The bar is never high enough. Each time you accomplish your goals (and do them well) they keep raising the bar. The work load is crazy and if you don't learn to have boundaries you will have no personal life. Even if you can, work life balance is skewed here. People work nights and weekends consistently. These are salaried positions - no overtime and taking comp time is near impossible because you are always so busy. Most deadlines are insane - it doesn't allow you to produce the quality of work you would like. There is a lot of compromise because of it. Some people are great at communicating some aren't. It is competitive and people throw co-workers under the bus to make themselves look better with an aim on the reviews. My hope is this will change with the new review model.

Stop playing favorites! Be honest with your employees and be sure to support them so they get the compensation they deserve. Give people more career and advancement advice. Focus on communication, do a better job of communicating. Walk the talk - don't tell us we are the most important thing then not compensate a good job and expect us to work 80 hr weeks.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!