Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Some groups are very political; non-technical people run the show; job-doers are sidelined in favor of networkers.

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsIt is a big company. I am sure there are other teams with better work atmosphere. Make sure you know the GM is a sound guy. Work culture in group trickles down from top.

ConsSome groups like mine are very bad places to be. The leaders and their lackeys are all about making their fiefdoms and promoting their careers at the cost of honest workers, and hence the company. Backstabbing is common.
If you rub your manager the wrong way, nothing can save you. Managers have absolute powers. HR exists only to help the managers keep their directs under check.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot change company culture by retaining the same old management. The people in senior leadership positions are there because they know how to play the politics and navigate the system. Bring in new people if you really want to change company culture.

Great Learning Experience

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Technical growth opportunities are limitless. Cons: Your career depends on your relationship with your direct manager Advice to Senior Management: Skip managers need to be involved with individual morale Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Crippled by culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: The company has great benefits, a competitive salary, and generally competitive colleagues. The headquarters have… Cons: There's too much red tape to get anything done, the engineering tools are straight from the… Advice to Senior Management: NA More
There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!