Microsoft

Very political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great benefits
Well respected company
Great pay
Smart people
Flexible work schedule
Signing bonus
Relocation expenses covered
Industry leader
Software discount

Cons

Extremely political
Hierarchical - slow to get things done
Individualistic rather than team oriented
Competitive, backstabbing
Uncoordinated
Nepotism
Poor work life balance

I do not really have any advice to leaders at Microsoft. Overall, I think it is a great company, if you fit in well with the culture.

9049 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Lost its way

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Lifestyle in Pacific NW is fantastic. Salary/pay is good.

Cons

Company has lost its way. Infighting, politics and lack of innovation-driven growth has created a culture that is increasingly Darwinian and internally focused.

We need a change in leadership at the senior-most levels in the company, strarting with the CEO and extending into the next 2-3 levels of management.

Great place to start a career, but definitely have an exit strategy

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

If you are coming to Microsoft directly from school (whether undergrad, grad, or MBA), Microsoft is a good place to gain basic "how things work at a big corporation" skills. Microsoft looks great on a resume, and it's a place that has the financial resources to support projects you want to do (if you can convince your manager to let you do them). Work environment is great (buildings in Redmond/Bellevue are top-notch, free soda, etc), the campus is beautiful, the benefits are excellent, and work hours/location are somewhat flexible (ie you can work from home sometimes if you want)

Cons

Don't plan on making Microsoft a long-term career. Have an exit strategy, because promotions are drying up given the cost cutting that is going on. Be very strategic about what group you choose to work in and what manager you have. Your manager will make or break your career here more than anywhere else because of the calibration process. Make sure you understand how that works and don't bother complaining about it because it's not going anywhere. Just understand that it's there and do what you can to make your chances in calibration better than your peers. This means managing up and across and making sure everyone knows what you're doing and what positive results are happening because of your work. Learn to use "I" rather than "we."

Please divest from businesses that lose money (E&D) and please focus on the company's core strength of building software (IW, S&T, etc). There is plenty of innovation we could do that is more related to our core strengths and right now we are spread too thin in areas that are not part of our core strength and they are detrimental to our long-term future.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft