Microsoft

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great projects, still plenty of innovation, execution people continue to be a premium
Compensation including benefits was more than fair for my responsibilities

Cons

Politics, performance review process broke that requires you be a brand manager of your work
Given the complexity of organization structure, can be tough to drive collaboration and results

Learn and apply servant and situational leadership techniques, culture tends to stifle creativity and innovation since it's a bit of a make my director manager happy on up the chain

8771 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

I like the company and its product but have a very bad manager experience

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good products, good perks, good salary.

Cons

Promotes very young employees as people managers who do not understand what managing people means. I have had two very bad managers and two very good managers. The good ones encouraged my strengths and gave room to improve the skills that I lacked. The two worst ones that I encountered only concentrated on the skills that I lacked without acknowledging the work I accomplished. As a result they pushed my career back by about 4 to 5 years. I left the company now and do not wish to join it anytime soon. The only reason I stuck with the company for so long was because I like MS products and their pay was good.

Kindly do not promote <35 year olds to manage people. Often times they manage people who are much older than they are and have a very biased and arrogant view of people reporting to them.

Some groups are very political; non-technical people run the show; job-doers are sidelined in favor of networkers.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a big company. I am sure there are other teams with better work atmosphere. Make sure you know the GM is a sound guy. Work culture in group trickles down from top.

Cons

Some groups like mine are very bad places to be. The leaders and their lackeys are all about making their fiefdoms and promoting their careers at the cost of honest workers, and hence the company. Backstabbing is common.
    If you rub your manager the wrong way, nothing can save you. Managers have absolute powers. HR exists only to help the managers keep their directs under check.

You cannot change company culture by retaining the same old management. The people in senior leadership positions are there because they know how to play the politics and navigate the system. Bring in new people if you really want to change company culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft