Cog in the Wheel

Former Contractor - Technical Editor in Seattle, WA
Former Contractor - Technical Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Availability of many jobs, locations, and projects - Interesting colleagues - Interesting technology - Great cafeterias, nice grounds - Perceived as a high-status company - The company is not likely to go under - Some projects are cutting-edge and exciting - Flex hours and support of remote work

Cons

- Overuse of contracting dynamic - Extreme hierarchy rift between contractors and perm employees - Once a contractor, always a contractor - Sexist; it's much harder for women to get jobs there than men, and they tend to be relegated to communications, support, and other "soft" areas; they tend to be contractors; they tend not to be offered perm positions; they make less than men in equivalent positions. - Ageist: Employees tend to be young and shiny - Salaries are lower than they should be, and IMO they have depressed salaries for the entire region. Great benefits used to be offered as a compensating factor for the low salaries, but the benefits are now on par with the average software company. - Massive stress to maintain "star" performance. Perm employees live in dread of their annual reviews. - Massive deadline and production stress - Endless re-orgs keep people's day-to-day lives chaotic - "Work/life balance" is a myth - The company massively oversponsors H1B visas - The biggest problem I have with Microsoft is that it used to be an exciting place to work, and now it is one of drudgery and enforced mediocrity, with employees viewed as expendable resources. I have even been referred to as "the resource" in meetings. And oh, the endless, endless meetings.

Advice to Management

Regain a focus on product quality and innovation, and genuinely value your employees. They are not all interchangeable and replaceable. You've lost your reputation as an exciting, great place to work, and that's a shame. Microsoft in the early nineties was an exciting, vibrant place filled with fascinating people, and I met the best friends of my life there. We worked insane hours but at least felt like our work was rewarding. It's a shame for a place filled with the people possessing some of the best minds in the US to become a rat wheel.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A lot of smart people, but not much getting done.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of really bright people. Good benefits. They have the infrastructure to be able to accomplish a lot. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Too bureaucratic, too much red tape. Very difficult to get anything done, slow process. Although they have the infrastructure to accomplish a lot I don't think they ever will because of the culture. Don't utilize employees to their highest.

Advice to Management

Need to change culture such that they can actually accomplish BIG things. Unblock and allow for growth. Recognize strengths of each employee and maximize them.

2. I had more creative freedom than I believe other sectors of the company have.

Former Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, diverse, creative team. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

A humbling evaluation system that pits employees against each other (or used to).

Advice to Management

You want to be a devices and services company. But if you want to produce actual content, then respect how content is created and beef up your staff to produce and shepherd it.