Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
  www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Regret I spent years of my life there

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- To some people outside the "circle", they would respect you for being a Microsoft employee, especially in other countries.
- H1B sponsorship
- Smart, competitive people around you. A lot to learn from peers and managers

Cons

- A company past its creativity curve. Only tiny portion of the projects are interesting, and people will fight for you. If you newly join the company, you will spend quite some time doing the out-dated technologies.
- "Factory", "assembly line" style process: this company is smart enough to "streamline-lize" its software development into something similar to Ford's assembly line. Working in that procedure gives you a strong feeling that you are one replaceable piece on it.
- Management tries to get "most mileage" out of you: the management will try to make you work hard, overtime (while not explicitly say so to leave "evidence". One time I saw the manager explicitly wrote "do more with less", meaning getting more done with less people, in his commitment. Another time I heard the management using "get enough mileage out of people". They would make aggressive planning, use progress tracking software, status report meetings to force you into work over time. Not only that, during work it's highly intense, I had to make sure the previous scheduled tasks are made progress, and timely respond to boss' emails of ad-hoc tasks. Sometimes I need to switch between 5 desktop servers to run different tasks to get my assignments done. Looking back, every year there made me age 3-4 years.
- Selfish culture. It boosted a culture that everybody try to strive to get what's within his own boundary done. And the company values the winner from internal competition (as the company is so big, upper management doesn't have time to judge who's right, so the simplest way I guess, is to see who's won out). From lower level, that means the peers just don't collaborate, but undermine each other. From bigger teams perspective, it's the fight between partners, and result in endless re-orgs.
- Information control. The mid-management gives exactly information that you need to work on your piece of work. You don't know next reorg, you don't know the direction of the project.
- "Precision Question Answering". There's this poisonous "communication tool" within Microsoft called "Precision Question Answering", it essentially trains people into using robotic-style conversations, so that the management can get the important information in the fastest way, and peers can challenge each other to fix logic errors in the details, at the cost of enjoying human-like collaboration between colleagues.
- Compensation is terribly below the industry average level.

8616 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

very good experience

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

learn how to resolve dependency

Cons

very slow to move forward

OK place to work.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to earn new technology.

Cons

Poor managers, pathetic culture and bureaucratic.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft